Thursday, May 6, 2010

Garden attempts year two in HOT, DRY, WINDY Sealy.

When I lived in Louisiana I had the greenest thumb of them all. After, I moved her to HOT dry windy texas, I realized it wasn't my thumb that was green. Rather, it was the perfect growing conditions of rain, humidity and rich soil. I had to BUY dirt this year. Steve says can you believe we BOUGHT dirt. Our yard is sandy loam soil. It turns to concrete when dry and quicksand when wet. Yeah, don't park a 1 ton dually on it when you are expecting rain. We learned our lesson real fast!! he he.


Anyway, this year I decided to try raised beds for a garden and flower bed. I also planted sunflowers in pots. Most of the beautiful plants in my flower bed were deflowered by the wind. However, my garden is doing pretty well, amazingly. The watermelon is flourishing. The tomatoes are doing well. The only thing that did not make it were the cucumber seedlings. I may buy some cucumber plants. I also still need plant my chives seeds. The wind blew the entire planting tray away of the seedlings I was growing. Gotta love that Sealy wind! I guess it's worth it because the few days the wind is calm, there is a lovely summer breeze!











3 comments:

B, Julie, Lise' & Abri said...

I do seem to remember planting cacti in Dallas....good luck 7 when you coming to visit? Pool's ready.

Selita & Craig said...

But such progress.....its a very pretty little garden. With Craig laid off right now I didn't even get to give it a chance....maybe next summer :(

Jen & Steve said...

Julie, I may have to revert to a cactus garden if this one doesn't work. Or, invest in a sprinkler system.
Oh, pools ready!! I may have to take you up on that offer very soon! It looks quite inviting!